On this blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Unforgettable...


I have been enjoying sharing songs that have meant something to me, whether howling in laughter or in disbelief.  A few letters have been problematic (not sure what's in the works for X but I'll come up with something), but overall it's been fun.

I did plan in advance, for the most part, though I departed from the planning when something struck me as a better choice..

I had a couple set for U, this one among them.  I nearly used a tune by Richard Rodgers (of 'and Hammerstein' fame) that he originally wrote for Victory at Sea.  It was called 'Under the Southern Cross', and he reused the tune later as a tango in a musical.  The problem was that I learned that I was one of many people who got the title wrong.  it's 'Beneath the Southern Cross'.  Ah, well.  Under the Boardwalk was an obvious one except (dare I say it?) as one who lived in the Hawaiian Islands and experienced the beautiful Pacific beaches, my opinion of the beaches anywhere near 'the Boardwalk' is, shall I say, rather unenthusiastic.

This left the song that was the winner from the first anyhow.  I'd have used it no matter what started with 'U'.  There was no contest.

Smooth as silk, smoky-voiced, those smiling eyes...

Who else but the great Nat King Cole?

When this duet came out through the magic of audio processing, I was charmed, delighted, and even a little misty-eyed.  And I am even happier to have found this YouTube video of a performance Natalie did using footage of her father.

ENJOY THE PERFORMANCE HERE

How can you beat it?  It's Unforgettable...


Unforgettable, that's what you are
Unforgettable though near or far
Like a song of love that clings to me
How the thought of you does things to me
Never before has someone been more 
Unforgettable in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
That someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am unforgettable too 
Unforgettable in every way
And forever more, that's how you'll stay
That's why, darling, it's incredible
That someone so unforgettable
Thinks that I am unforgettable too
 

Unforgettable lyrics © BOURNE CO.
-words and music by Irving Gordon

 


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be singing that all day :) Love Nat King Cole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely choice, I will have it in my head now ;) Ahhhhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete