On this blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

That's Why I'm Here...

I was taking a break from some intense (not writing-related) work, and decided "I've got a minute, I'll check my email."

So I did.  There was a message with the title:

New Form Entry: Contact Form

The message starts:

You've just received a new submission to your Contact Form.


There is a name and an email, which I will not retain after I respond to the contact. (I promised)

And a message:

I have read the 1st two books in the Memphis cycle and enjoyed the story lines. My daughter loves studying about ancient Egypt so will pass along to her.


I looked up with the start of a smile.  How lovely to receive this!  It is funny how these seem to come when they're needed.  I'm going flat out to finish the crocodile story (see upper right of the screen), have little time to do much else, even posting and commenting.  This is like a sip of cool water.  Or perhaps a glass of red wine.

That's why I'm here.  That's what I live for, in part, knowing that someone enjoyed what I offered.

James Taylor says it beautifully. The fortune and fame will probably never find me, but still:

     Fortune and fame's such a curious game.
     Perfect strangers can call you by name.
     Pay good money to hear fire and rain
        again and again and again.
     Some are like summer coming back every year,
     got your baby got your blanket got your bucket of beer.
     I break into a grin from ear to ear
     and suddenly it's perfectly clear.
     That's why I'm here.



10 comments:

  1. So lovely to get a message like this! And yes, it's perfect when it comes at just the right time =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. things like those do make your day, just like people stopping by to chat or smile...

      Delete
  2. I love this post! I'm on that track lately. I feel like I'm justifying how I spend my time - like just doing it because of enjoyment and love of people isn't enough. I'm bombarded by calls to "monetize my site." Why?? Is it a lesser goal to want to make people smile?

    I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a number of times when someone was really nice to me because I had somehow managed to make him (or her!) smile or feel better. I guess that's what it's all about. (A nice, honest guffaw is a good thing, too!)

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful gift to know someone loved your books enough to share them, and enough to seek you out to tell you. Looking forward to the crocodile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do tend to forget to tell others how much we appreciate them. Which reminds me: what's on your keyboard right now?

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great to get a heartfelt injection of "Brava" just when time, and work, and writer's block seem to trip us up.
    I am looking forward to your crocodile story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Inge - you're completely right. And it comes (when it comes) when you least expect it.

      Delete
  5. How nice! I've had messages like this that come exactly when I needed them as well, and it's always so appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana - how fabulous .. and I'm so glad it's inspired you to finish your 30 cubit crocodile - sounds a great title ... curious to find out more ...

    Congratulations and enjoy basking in this praise ... we're having some talks on ancient Egypt in the Autumn and into next year ... it'll be fascinating .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete